They came, they saw, they tried on smartwatches.

Google I/O 2014 brought thousands of developers to San Francisco Wednesday and Thursday to see the latest hardware and software from the we're-not-just-search-anymore company and its partners. Announcements during the keynote speech on Wednesday ranged from the surprise reveal of the aptly-named Cardboard virtual reality headset to Android Auto.

Google I/O Cardboard virtual reality

Google I/O Android Auto

But the biggest hubbub surrounded two new Android smartwatches: the Motorola Moto 360 and Samsung Gear Live.

Google I/O Motorola Moto 360 Google I/O Samsung Gear Live

Google Glass was out in force; it seemed like at least 5 percent of attendees were wearing one. Google partner Runtastic showed off an app that made use of the headsets to lead wearers in exercises.

Google I/O Google Glass exercise

Thursday took a touching turn when Google's Advanced Technology and Projects division debuted "Duet," a short film made specifically for Android devices. The film was hand drawn by former Disney animator Glen Keane and then painstakingly converted to a 3D digital landscape by ATAP's team.

IMG_4325

Google I/O animator, author and illustrator Glen Keane

Attendees snapped up every chair and bit of floor space at the conference, where almost every session overflowed.

Google I/O

But, for once, there were lots places to charge up all those devices.

Google I/O Android charging

Google IO ticker